Monday 29 February 2016

Jess - Love and Money By Dennis Kelly

This is just a quick post about the show that I am to be in next month, not only promoting it, but also to express how much I have learned playing the part of Jess in Dennis Kelly's 'Love and Money'.
For anyone who knows Kelly's writing, you will know it is a totally naturalistic and truly intricate style of writing, that completely captures each and every character in a slice of real life. Playing the part of Jess has been the biggest responsibility I have ever been given in a show, as although I have played lead roles, none have been quite so psychologically complex. I have learned to take my acting right back to the basics, creating a whole life story for Jess myself, and researching intensely on her type of mental illness so to capture her exact thought processes. It never hurts to try every line in a whole plethora of ways in order to capture just what works with a certain character, something which has definitely been no mean feat with Jess' concluding nine page monologue, yet definitely one which has taught me no end about this style. I would totally recommend reading and trying some of Dennis Kelly's work if you are someone that finds it hard to find the truth in your performance, as his style is so real! I can't wait to work even harder on this part in the next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment