Tuesday 24 May 2016

GETTING IN TO DRAMA SCHOOL

This is by no means a bragging post, but just a quick and very exciting one to say that I got into drama school this year! I am very excited to have received a place at GSA on their BA acting course ready to start this September. 
This has been a very interesting year for me, as it was a big step to admit that university was not the right path, and pluck up the courage to take another year to do what was in my heart. We are raised in this culture where university seems to be the norm, and anyone who tries to stray from that is almost alienated. Having an already confirmed place at university last year, it was a huge thing to decline, and enter a world outside of education, very last minute, with no money, and have another crack. 

Living a year at home has been quite challenging, especially living so far from London, where a lot of auditions take place. Not only that, but I live in a very small town where there isn't a huge amount of theatre culture, and it's very easy to feel quite isolated from what you are trying to achieve. I urge anyone who takes a gap year and lives in a similar place to me, to surround yourself with culture: watch videos, live streamings, read books and plays, and keep your mind active and remembering what you are trying to achieve. Through doing this, I have learned so much and become a much better informed person. I have also had to push myself to get involved in local groups and theatres which has lead to me landing the main role with my local theatre royal group, and becoming a director at my local theatre group. All of this has meant that I have become more confident in myself as an actor, and I was able to go into my auditions this year with the mentality that I deserve a place. There is definitely something about being out of education and having time to fill yourself, that gives you a certain confidence, as you are forcing yourself to get involved in new things, otherwise you would just be bored. I urge anyone who has failed to get into drama school to take some time to relax, and reflect, and find new ways to inform yourself and nurture your talents. Trust me, it will go SO FAST that you almost want to take more years to find newer and bigger things to get involved in. I can finally understand those people who take years and years to get into drama school and never lose their passion. If you want it enough, you will always get there. 

I cant wait to begin training, and continue my blog throughout (I hope) to keep a track of all the wonderful things i'm learning, and hopefully help other people interested in training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment