Tuesday 26 January 2016

HAVING A GAP YEAR AT HOME



A lot of people turn their nose up when I say that I am living at home during my gap year, and whilst yes, living at home can be a hard thing to endure, especially if all of your friends have gone to uni, or if, like me, you live miles away from anywhere remotely urban, there are still so many ways to make the most of your time. Over the past few months I have really learned to squeeze as much as possible out of my gap year, and really expand my artistic horizons. At the beginning of the year I felt like the only way to do this would be to go to London as much as possible to see contemporary shows, west end musicals, and take part in professional workshops etc, yet living as far away as I do, I soon realised that this was an unrealistic way of doing things. I found myself to be in a bit of a catch 22, because in order to get to London this much, I needed a job to pay for it, but with a job, you cant have as much time off as you please to be in London for weeks on end 'finding yourself'. Instead I have found so many ways to compromise and have a gap year that nurtures me just as much as if I were living in the heart of London. If like me, you're taking a gap year to reapply for drama schools, yet didn't opt to move out to London,or you couldn't afford a foundation year, here's a list of all the things I am doing to still try and gain as much knowledge as if you were out doing those things. 

  • Working/volunteering in a theatre: I was incredibly lucky with my job this year, as I actually work in a theatre, running the cafe and bar, and much of the front of house. When I began this year I had the idea that I wanted to try and work in a theatre or even volunteer to help with shows, but I never dreamed I would be working as a member of management, in an albeit small, but very modern and up and coming theatre. Being around the art means that you can most probably go and see as many shows as you please, thus helping to gain extra knowledge in theatre. Not only this, but I very often get to meet the companies who come to the theatre from other places, thus allowing me to make so many connections and opening up the possiblity to work with these companies in the future. You'd be surprised how many directors or actors start up converstaions with me (working behind the bar) and end the conversation by inviting me to come and work with them, or giving me their number. Even if its just volunteering in a theatre, being surrounded by like minded people is so stimulating and motivating.
  • Exploiting all medias: What I mean by exploiting all medias is making the most of everything that is available to you. I have recently discovered the medium of live streaming: when a professional show being performed live at somewhere like The National, West End theatres, or even Broadway, and is streamed to a different theatre or even cinema for audiences all over the country to enjoy. When I first heard of them, I thought it would be no where near like going to the theatre itself and actually watching the show, yet I found that the amazing quality makes for a similar experience. I can go to my local theatre on a week night and see talents like Judy Dench and Kenneth Brannah live for as little as a tenner. You can also find so many similar things online, for example youtube videos of full length performances by professional companies. You can also find so much on the tv, for example the evening of performances aired by channel four a few weeks ago which showcased live shows by three professional companies, or even the stream of 'Gypsy' live from the Savoy on the BBC, both of which are available on catch up at any time. You can also buy endless DVDs of performances. Just because you are not living in London or a big city, doesn't mean you don't have a plethora of amazing theatre at your fingertips to learn from.
  • Getting cultured: Getting cultured stems from exploiting all medias, but it not just watching amazing theatre that can make you a better informed actor. I have a big love for watching films, tv dramas and web series in order to see the work of as many amazing actors and directors as possible. Not only this, but reading books and plays, going to art galleries, seeing live music etc, are all things that can inform you about society and in turn help you to understand contemporary writing. This also allows you to come across many lifestyles and cultures which can only help you to portray them better on stage. Its also important to remember that you are doing these things because you love them (or at least you should), its not JUST because you want to get into drama school. It sounds ironic, but as soon as you begin to do these things for yourself and not just because its what a drama school wants from you, you become the interesting individual they might wish to take on.
  • Taking as many theatrical opportunities as possible: If you're taking a gap year in order to try again for drama school, this is quite an obvious one, but its important to highlight. Even if its taking a part in a amateur dramatic play, taking singing lessons, going to evening dance classes or even helping out with a local theatre group rather than acting, every little helps. Sometimes its easy to get caught up with work, but when you're in the middle of a long period of unfilled time, its easy to become unmotivated to better your technique if you are not stimulating yourself. Through taking every opportunity, no matter how small, I have landed the lead role in a very hard hitting play with my local theatre royal, am directing my own show to compete in the National New Connections competition, and I have a job right in the middle of everything I love. this is just after a few months, and I have so many more plans after my auditions to travel and expand my theatre knowledge internationally. Through constantly being involved with theatre I am always feeling motivated to work on my monologues and songs for auditions and better my technique because it reminds me of what I took my year out for. 
  • Keeping healthy: Being healthy is not necessarily connected to acting, but it can definitely make you a happier and more motivated person, which in turn keeps you motivated to always work on yourself. I don't only mean the obvious things like eating healthily, exercising, getting enough sleep and water etc, but keeping a healthy state of mind. Things like mediation, conscious breathing and yoga are all things which can help you to be a mentally stronger and calmer person, which obviously doesn't go a miss in an audition. A gap year is the perfect time to become the healthy person you've always wanted to be, and lets face it, drama school training is going to physically demanding and having that little bit of strength when you come to audition is only going to work in your favour. Getting fit and strong also shows dedication a staple drama school desirable. 




No comments:

Post a Comment